RACHEL RABKIN PEACHMAN
Special Projects Deputy, Consumer Reports
- Investigative journalist delving into issues affecting consumer health, safety, and well-being. Cover stories include What You Don’t Know About Your Doctor Could Hurt You and Are Banned Drugs in Your Meat? Other investigations include our coverage of dangerous infant inclined sleepers like the Fisher-Price Rock ‘n Play Sleeper and fatal furniture tip-overs.
- Current beats include health, medications, consumer product safety, food safety, furniture tip-overs, and CBD (cannabis compounds).
Freelance Journalist and Editor
July 2008–July 2018
- Articles have appeared in print and online in publications such as The Atlantic, Better Homes and Gardens, The Boston Globe Magazine, Condé Nast Traveler, Consumer Reports, Cosmopolitan, Family Circle, Fitness, Glamour, Health, Journal of the American Medical Association, Ladies’ Home Journal, McSweeney’s, More, Ms., O, The Oprah Magazine, The New York Times, Pacific Standard, Parent & Child, Parenting, Parents, POZ, Prevention, Redbook, Sports Illustrated for Women, Today.com, Vegetarian Times, The Washington Post, Woman’s Day, Women’s Health, and Time Inc. custom pubs and launches.
Health Director, Parenting magazine, a Bonnier publication
New York, October 2006-July 2008
- Oversaw the magazine’s health coverage; assigned, edited, and wrote articles on children’s and women’s health and psychology, nutrition, pregnancy, fitness, and medical news
- Generated story ideas and coverlines; managed junior staff; worked with art and web teams
- Appeared on TV and radio news programs
- Wrote a pregnancy blog (projectpregnancy.parenting.com) and did podcasts.
Health Director, OK! magazine, a Northern & Shell publication
New York, June 2005-October 2006
- Conceived, reported, and wrote all health, nutrition, fitness, and psychology content
- Developed the Body & Soul column; wrote, edited, and packaged the weekly column
- Wrote celebrity, relationship, beauty, and travel features
Health Editor, Parents magazine, a Meredith publication
New York, August 2003-June 2005 (Began as News Editor)
- Assigned, edited, and wrote articles on children’s and women’s health, nutrition, and psychology
- Appeared on TV and radio programs
Associate Health and Nutrition Editor, Family Circle magazine, a Meredith publication
New York, March 2000-June 2001
- Assigned, edited, and wrote articles on health, nutrition, food (and recipes), psychology, and medical news
Assistant Editor, Healthy Living magazine, a Hearst publication
New York, September 1997-March 2000 (Began as Editorial Assistant)
- Wrote articles on holistic health and medicine, fitness, nutrition, psychology, spas, and books.
- Head of research department; hired and oversaw up to 10 freelance fact-checkers
- Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, M.S., May 2002
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, B.A., May 1997; Honors English and Spanish
- 2020 Deadline Club Award winner from the Society of Professional Journalists for Consumer Reports investigation into dangerous infant sleepers
- 2020 National Magazine Award finalist for Consumer Reports investigation into dangerous infant sleepers
- 2019 Folio Eddie Award honorable mention for Consumer Reports investigation into dangerous infant sleepers
- 2019 Folio Eddie Award winner in health/fitness journalism for series on CBD with Consumer Reports team
- 2016 min Editorial & Design Award winner (single article online) for a Consumer Reports investigative cover story about doctors on probation
- 2016 American Pain Society Kathleen M. Foley Journalist Award winner for a feature article on chronic pain in Family Circle
- 2004, 2003, and 2001 American Academy of Dermatology Gold Triangle Award for excellence in magazine writing
- 2003 Skin Cancer Foundation Excellence in Media Award
- 2001 Council for the Advancement of Science Writing fellow